Assessment / Reporting
Our teachers use a variety of strategies to assess each student’s work. This includes observing their work in class and looking closely at the work they produce throughout the year.
Twice a year teachers also assess each high school student’s achievements based on the outcomes described in the syllabuses of each subject.
A written report using the grade scale is sent home usually near the end of Term 2 and Term 4, to give you a clear picture of your child’s achievements. We provide detailed information to students about what is expected from them throughout the year and how their work will be assessed.
Students have a number of assessments in high school:
- All students in Years 7 and 9 sit for four tests in May that are known as the National Assessment Program Literacy and Numeracy (NAPLAN). NAPLAN assesses students’ skills in numeracy, reading, writing, spelling, punctuation and grammar. NAPLAN results help teachers meet the individual literacy and numeracy needs of students. You will receive a detailed written report of your child’s achievement in the tests.
- VALID Science 8 – All Year 8 students in NSW sit for the Validation of Assessment 4 Learning & Individual Development (VALID) test in term 4. It is an online interactive multimedia assessment called VALID Science 8. You will receive a report of your child’s achievement in term 1 of Year 9.
- Higher School Certificate – Years 11-12 students complete courses applicable for this assessment.
Parent – Teacher meetings
You will be given a formal opportunity to discuss your child’s progress at a parent-teacher meeting. However, if you have any concerns, don’t wait for a parent-teacher meeting.
Please make an appointment to discuss these concerns as they arise with the relevant teacher. If you need an interpreter, ask us to call the interpreter service on 13 14 50 (this service is free).
- DE Curriculum Assessing and Reporting to Parents, K-12 Policy
- What is NAPLAN (also in community languages)
- NAPLAN Parent Information (also in community languages)
- Written Reports (also in community languages)
- Written Reports for English as a Second Language Students (also in community languages)
- Assessment Resource Centre